With the recent passing of the full moon I started thinking about my experience dealing with that energy. When it’s a full moon there is a weird vibe in the air. We’ve all heard people say “Oh it must be a full moon” to explain out of character behaviour, bad driving, spikes in anything out of the ordinary. I’ve even heard people say that it’s when the crazies come out.
- Your sleep schedule may be off. I’ve had many nights around that crazy lunar cycle where I have been exhausted and completely unable to turn my brain off. This may be related to the additional light that a full moon provides, which can influence sleep patterns during these 3 days. Darkness while sleeping promotes melatonin, which is the hormone that regulates the quality of our sleep. The more light we’re exposed to, the less melatonin. So sleep…..not so great.
- You feel super emotional! There is the story of people being more aggressive and angry around this time. There are suggestions that because as humans we’re made up of 70 percent water, we are connected to the gravitational pull affect that the moon has on the ocean tide. In my research I found no specific studies that actually support this claim that aren’t flawed in some way. However, based on my experience I’ve had issues with heightened anxiety, feeling skittish and sad feelings that seem to come out of nowhere.
- Completely up in the clouds. During this phase of the moon I’ve felt like I’m literally floating up there with it. I have no roots. Almost no connection to my physical body. I actually have to remind myself to come down to earth and connect to my feet.
- Zero energy. I have felt like someone has sucked the life out of me. To the point where picking what I’m going to watch on Netflix is too much work. All I want to do is lounge on the couch, have someone bring me food and take me to the bathroom when needed.
- Get outside under that beautiful moon and take it all in. Go for a walk when it’s out. Sit outside, particularly by water and bask in it’s beautiful glory. Meditated under it with your eyes closed. Connect to it. There may be something in it for you.
- Get physical. Whether it’s hitting a kick ass yoga class or pumping some weight at the gym, connecting to and moving your body is a great way to clear built up energy and ground you down. Especially if you’re a floater.
- Be gentle with yourself. If you’re feeling emotional, know that it’s ok. Make sure you communicate what you’re feeling with the people you love so they have some warning if you go off. Be kind to yourself!!!
We all have moments, if you’re having one, great. Let it be what it needs to be. Feel the stuff, then let it go. It’s only 3 days a month. Know you’ve got this on lock down when it comes up and if you do feel a little crazy just remember. It will all be over soon!